Thursday, January 10, 2013

A Day for Oddballs, Fruit Loops and Characters



Happy Peculiar People Day! That’s right. Today, January 10th is Peculiar People Day. There aren’t a lot of details about this holiday, but I’m guessing the day commemorates geniuses and other individuals, who live a just a bit outside the box. The Free Online Dictionary defines peculiar as unusual, eccentric, odd, distinctive, and distinct from all others or strange.

I’m intrigued by the wacky and weird. I like those who walk to a different drummer and I betting you might too.

To celebrate this usual day, please join me in thinking of those unique people we know. Then, to spare friends, family or acquaintances, let’s limit our naming of oddballs, fruit loops and characters to those who appear in fiction. I’ll start off with thirteen of my favorites.



  1. Philip Marlowe from Raymond Chandler’s The Big Sleep
  2. Professor Rubeus Hagrid from JK Rowling’s Harry Potter Series
  3. Tarzan from Edgar Rice Burroughs’ Tarzan of the Apes
  4. Atticus Finch from Harper Lee’s To Kill A Mockingbird
  5. Scarlett O'Hara from Margaret Mitchell's Gone With the Wind
  6. The pirate captain, Mad Machen, from Meljean Brook’s There Will be Monsters
  7. Tobias "Four" Eaton, from Veronica Roth’s Divergent
  8. Gandalf from JRR Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings
  9. Miss Havisham from Charles Dickens’ Great Expectations
  10. Yileen from Kendall Grey’s Inhale.
  11. Aibileen Clark from Kathryn Stockett’s The Help
  12. The Boatwright sisters: August, May and June from Sue Monk Kidd’s The Secret Life of Bees
  13. Dr. Waldo Butters from Jim Butcher’s The Dresden Files

Do you have a favorite character? A fictional kook you’d like to discuss? Please share.

23 comments:

  1. I'll throw in a few from John Irving's books: Owen Meany from A Prayer for Owen Meany. He's an oddball, but loveable and unforgettable.

    T.S. Garp from The World According to Garp. This fellow takes eccentric to whole new levels.

    Wilbur Larch from The Cider House Rules. Principled and strong, and controversial to the core.

    Eddie O'Hare from A Widow for One Year.
    So human and touching he just feels real in spite of his foibles and odd preferences.

    (That's just to get started, too!)

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, good character calls--all. I'd forgotten about Wilbur Larch. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Great list. The Harry Potter books have a lot of interesting characters - Luna comes to mind, too. And Gollum from Lord of the Rings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I thought of Gollum too, probably because I just saw The Hobbit. And Luna, she's also a good choice. :)

      Delete
  3. YAY! Thanks for mentioning Yileen on your oddball list. HAHA! He is quite a character. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure. He's one of my favorite out-of-box characters.

      Delete
  4. too much fun with this list - has me thinking a whole new way about the characters in the books. Love the ones mentioned and will probably be adding this to my list of possibles for T13 later in the year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Hobbit/LOTR is filled with quirky or unusual characters, as are the Harry Potter series and Riordan's "Olympus" books.

    Other "original" characters that come to mind: Madame DeFarge from A Tale of Two Cities; Holly Golightly from Breakfast at Tiffany's; and the brothers Levin, Nicholas and Koznyshov from Anna Karenina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather,
      You're right about the quirky cast of LOTR, Harry Potter and the Olympus books and I like your other character picks, too.

      Delete
  6. What a great idea...I am on winter vacation right now and am missing my library at home...when I return next week I will browse my books and looks specifically for the 'interesting' people I am harbouring on my shelves!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's quite a cast of characters!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tarzan of the Apes is a good one.

    Have a great rest of your day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I concur on most of these. I like to add Ahab in Moby Dick. Thanks for sharing.

    The Food Temptress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rekaya,
      Yep, I think Ahab definitely qualifies.

      Delete
  10. Sorry I missed this, Mia. Love your list. Recently read two of Linda Wisdom's Hex series where her heroine has two living furry house slippers that attack people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I don't know the Hex series, but the slippers sound fun. I'll look for it. Thanks.

      Delete
  11. I've just finished Brook's The Iron Duke and loved it. Now I'll have to look for the book you mention!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fun and relevant topic as I had no idea about the day.

    My fav peculiar character is Sgt. Jim Chee of the Navajo Tribal Police from the old Tony Hillerman fictional series. Trying to balance his Indian heritage with the job responsibilities and American culture leave him looking strange to both populations.

    ReplyDelete

 
ja